The Mighty Acorns Champions Of Kent had to dig deep to pull victory from this titanic encounter.

Sidcup brought a big and powerful pack, putting the MACK’s under considerable pressure right from the kick off. Although the home defence was valiant for most of the first quarter, a converted try was conceded after strong ruck phases.

The size of the challenge needed no emphasising and the Acorns forwards stepped up. The big MACK’s went at it with relish (you might say) and persuaded Sidcup’s fly half to attempt a kick into our right hand corner. This was an error. This was Garcy’s corner. From inside his 22, he caught the ball and proceeded to run through and round half their team before chipping over the other half, regaining the ball and touching down in the opposite corner. It was a spectacular display of speed, skill and strength.

Some interchanging of possession then took place before Sidcup spun the ball to their three quarters inside Sevenoaks half. The MACK’s defence successfully blitzed and forced a handling error. Alex Barber pounced on the ball, drew several defenders and off-loaded to the thundering Garcy, who waved off would-be tacklers on his way to scoring between the posts.

Sidcup came back again with a converted try and scored two first half penalties but the MACK’s were succeeding in turning the game into more of a running match and attacked hard, eventually sending the ball down the line to the right wing deep inside the oppo 22 – but it wasn’t the right winger who received the ball, it was Malcy McCullough, loitering out wide. Malcy’s previous engagement in the game might have left him short of breath but the passage of time had rested him. He received the ball with real purpose and drove at a couple of defenders, splitting them like two pins in a bowling alley and popping the ball up to Tim Golds who went over for a well worked try.

At half time the scores stood at 17-20 in Sidcup’s favour.

Sevenoaks started the second half on the front foot and pressed hard through the phases before a scrum 15 metres from Sidcup’s line. A blindside move created pressure, allowing Oaks time to choose when to released the backs. The transfer was smooth when it came and Tim Golds ran a beautiful angle from centre for a well deserved second try.

Again, Sidcup had a reply and pushed hard, touching down under Sevenoaks' posts. Oaks came back and, following Campo’s clever box kick, Rob Furr hit the breakdown hard, cleared out a couple of defenders and allowed Paul Ev’s to pick and go over the whitewash for our final try. Campo kicked a penalty and a couple of conversions which were crucial in securing the win.

A warm MACK’s welcome to both Campo and Alex Barber. We are a good side made even better with the addition of your talents.

Throughout the squad, the effort and standard of performance was excellent. We now look forward to defending our title against Thanet in this year’s Final, at Maidstone RFC on Sunday 19 March.

C’mon you Mighty Acorns Champions Of Kent!!!