Sevenoaks Rugby Acorns hosted their counterparts from Westcombe Park on Sunday 13 November for Round 1 in the Kent 'Spitfire Golden Oldies Rugby Cup'. Oaks as the defending champions were all business with their title on the line. 

A gripping encounter between two well-matched teams saw the lead change hands an enthralling five times before referee John Price’s final whistle gave the players their well-earned relief.
The Champions Of Kent enjoyed significant performances across the team; Tommy Kelly, Robbie Grant, Alex Manley (Captain), Miles Hayward, Chris Binns, David Paton, Oli Boatwright-Smith to name but a few (or perhaps not so few) delivered superbly and new cracker-jack scrum half, Dale Smith, was the Man of the Match.
The scoring began after sustained Sevenoaks pressure from the kick-off yielded a Combe infringement on their 22, allowing Paul Eversfield to slot the penalty. 3-0. Combe found their feet slowly as the half progressed and eventually scored a try from good running rugby which was successfully converted to make it 3-7 at half time. 
Sevenoaks started the second period with vigour and debutant prop, Chris Binns, blasted through five minutes in for the first touch down of the half, which Eversfield successfully converted. 10-7. Combe came back to level it at 10-10 with a penalty and then scored a well-worked try (unconverted) to bring the score to 10-15 as we entered the final quarter of game time.
From good ruck play in the midfield, Sevenoaks spread the ball wide to winger Del McCrone who stretched his long-striding pins and sped away from the defence for a further 5 points which Eversfield duly slotted. And with the result remaining unaffected by Westcombe Park’s final penalty kick attempt, 17-15 is how it ended up.
We thank Westcombe Park for bringing us such a strong and enjoyable game and, most of all, for being a great bunch of lads! 

Our next Kent Cup encounter is an away fixture at Bromley on 4 December. C’mon you Mighty Acorns Champions Of Kent!



1 Comment